Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Wouldn't it Be Nice if We Were Older?

The Beach Boys could not have put this romantic teenage senitiment better. When we teeneagers find someone we believe we love it feels as if we should just be older.
But why? one might ask.

Well there are several reasons:
If a teenage couple were older they would not have to worry so much about a certain action that most parents frown upon.
If older, a teenage couple would be able to live together.
When we are older we get more freedom, allowing more feedom in a relationship.
When we are older, we're much more mature, usually making a good relationship great.
And for those of us teenagers who spend our time on team Rainbow, we would not have to be so secretive (I do not have this problem, but I know a lot of gay teenagers do).

But in a way it is a very good thing that teenage couples are NOT older. We teenagers are not the most responsible or mature bunch. We throw a hissy because we get a bad grade, our parents will not let us take the car, we did not get the part we wanted in the school's production or we are havign particularly bad day and just need to be mad. I have definitely been a culprit of a hissy fit or too myself, so mind you I am not just being a self loathing teenager here, I speak from experience folks.

Now I have met some wonderful teenage couples who I really thought could make it. But then reality happened, and the magic was gone. The reality of it is, even if you are perfect for each other when you are teenagers, you are going to grow apart because you are going to change. I am not comepletely the same person as I was at the start of this school year, and the same can be said for a lot of my friends. Now this is not a bad thing but for a teenage couple, it can be deadly. When we change as we do as teenagers, our perspective changes with us. The same person we had been infatuated with for seven months, suddenly becomes disagreeable and someone we do not want to be with, for the way we view them has changed.
I guess it is perfectly possible that two people can change for the better of their relationship but this is not usually what I have seen.

So I guess what I'm trying to say here is in some way it would be awesome to be able to be with the people we like now as teenagers, when we are adults, but unluckily our adult selves would most likely not want anything to do with our teenage infatuations. I may just be speaking for myself here, so please comment and leave your valued opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment